Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Alarming Hack Attack


Early this year, newsrooms were flooded by a very suspicious incident of government agencies' network being hacked. to read more on this article, here is the link: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/302476,philippines-alarmed-over-hacking-of-government-websites.html

Just this evening, I came down to eat dinner and my attention was caught by a news regarding the automated election, that the ballot boxes that will be used in the May 2010 election is not black and because the ink that was used in the ballots are UV sensitive. Then I suddenly remembered the news regarding the government websites' hacking incident. I really can't take away this very weird feeling in me that the information infiltration happened to the government agencies were mere dry-runs for what will happen to the upcoming elections. I am not putting my fingers on the current administration but they should know well that they are not new to this kind of unusual issues. If the worst happen in the election time, I don't think that there will be any success if any protest regarding the process and the outcome will be made. Another thing is that the technology used, the "high tech" ballot boxes and the like, are all products of Taiwan. I am not being judgmental by saying, but we all know that, Taiwanese law has teeth not sharp enough upon dealing with hackers, meaning hackers in that country can work freely. I even know a Filipino hacker who stayed for a year to Taiwan because of it's way of treating the issue of information hacking. I think being vigilant isn't the right move anymore. I think we should do something before it happens. Let's face it, it is not only the presidentiables that our country needs, our country needs us. She need us to do something right away. We do not need to have another EDSA Revolution. All we need to do is to prevent the worst from happening. Please, regardless of whom we support, let us all do something. At the end of the day, we are still all Filipinos.

1 comment:

  1. repost

    http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20100217-253637/Globe-PLDT-fear-attacks

    ReplyDelete