Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Golden Rule


Recently I am very much into online social networking. It is an addiction but it is actually part of my work. I try to seek and/or communicate with possible clients. It is actually one of my ways to market my business. Today's era really is an advance one. And as a businessman, I must use this one advancement to my advantage. We can be of friends or connected to anyone in this globe. Of course we can't take away the fact that I play sometimes. But upon playing online, I see many people, especially Filipinos to be very rude towards the other. They misuse these technology. For them, it is just a mean to do whatever they want, even up to the point that the usage is senseless and even causing harm to the other end. It is quite disturbing that these people, from age 11 onwards, are being hostile towards another without any reason. Online gaming, and even the internet itself was being transformed into a modern day battlefield. A place into which a person verbally assault any people that they feel like picking. Imagine, while playing one of this game, I saw a 13 year old boy offending a 42 year old man. I have a share of experience with a 16 year old who mistaken me for a girl while playing this game. Of course he haven't saw me and my profile, just my avatar dog and a nickname. He is harassing and talks dirty to me not realizing that I might be a man and worst, way older than him. Regardless the age or gender, the issue here is that people nowadays lose respect. We know respect should be earn but everybody is respectable unless he himself loses respect to himself. Courtesy and politeness play almost no significant role in the online world. A person loses respect not because of the people who humiliate him, we lose respect ones we do something that we can consider undignified. Making a mistake doesn't lessen a person's humanity, but kicking a person while he is down is definitely a shameful act. The one being assaulted, verbally and physically, without giving any provocation, is still a dignified person. But the one assaulting a person without any valid cause, especially if it is due to race or status, definitely shames himself. He has no self respect to himself. He market himself as a person of lewd and disgust. What I witness online is mostly an act committed by a minor. Now, it is not only they shame themselves but their parents as well. How come these people produces indecent words and vulgar phrases? Yes, every person has its own free will and character different from their parents but definitely the fact that the parents are responsible especially on their child's formative stage shows that parents or guardians have a share in the misdeed. People should understand that those misconduct even in the internet is a grave sin indeed. It is not a laughing matter. It causes fear to others, even terror. We despise terrorism but are we sure that each child in our home doesn't assault anybody even in the cyberspace? Are we, maybe molding our world's hope into a heartless monster? We must do something. It is not funny. It needs attention and definitely immediate action. Discipline starts at home, we should enforce it. But discipline with no compassion is not going to help at all. We need heart, we should give love and discipline before we become responsible to our children's demise. Respect isn't earned, regardless of differences, it is always with us. Respect to be respected. Do not do unto other's what you do not want to do unto you.

No comments:

Post a Comment