Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sixth Card: Six of Flowers


There was once a beggar who asked for a penny to everyone walking on the street. Although he has no education, not any material possession except for the thorn out, dirty clothes that he have, he still have his youth. Nobody wanted to give him any job because he lacks credibility. He asked anyone regardless how they look-like or how they live. He never stops praying, wishing that his prayers would be heard. One day, the beggar asked a poor fisherman for any money or food. Since the fisherman has enough meal for the family, he just gave his fishing rod and net. The beggar sold it and bought a decent meal for the day. The next morning, he went on his way to beg again, he prayed before for any alms be given again. All he just asked to the Lord is enough food to live each day. Once again, he met this poor farmer, but this farmer has have earn so much that he gave one of his cow to the beggar. The beggar sold the cow for money and have a week long budget for food. He asked God why does He keep on giving anything except food. Food is all he need to survive. He even asked "If you have given me education and money, I would have been wealthy by now." In a tropical country like the Philippines, people easily burned their energy, so there is a greater food necessity. For almost three months, the beggar doesn't receive any alms to buy even a small piece of bread. He went to the seaside, wishing to end his miserable life. Before he set his feet to the shore, he look upwards and shout "Lord, why have you forsaken me? I have always been faithful but you show me, if none, a little grace. Since You probably doesn't exist, I better take my own life and stop this foolish living." He drowned himself and eventually, died. His soul traveled and saw the gates of heaven. He said to himself, "He does exist, but He didn't bother listen to my pleas." He encountered St. Peter and asked, "I would like to enter. I have all the reasons to be here, since I live a poor life on earth. I always pray even though they were not answered." St. Peter replied, "I believe you are not on the list, please go the other way." The beggar got very hysterical, saying "I was forsaken on earth, I still am forsaken here in heaven?! I thought God is loving and merciful, generous and kind. But why is He doing this to me?!" St. Peter then asked the man "What if you are still a beggar and saw me, you definitely asked for any money or food, right?" the beggar answered "of course, I need them to live. I can say I have live a good life, I didn't steal even to the point of dying." " Well, that's good so nice to know that you didn't even think of that. But what if I don't have any thing to give you but my chicken, would you still accept it?" He answered "of course I'll accept it and cook it for me to have a decent meal." St. Peter sighed, "You see, for all of your life, God doesn't abandoned you. There are numerous times that He gave you opportunity to feed yourself regularly and never starved again. Like the time you have a fishing rod and net, and the cow. If you just not sold those things and used the rod and the net for fishing, while the cow to be milked or even breed, you would've been eating and earning. But instead, you sold them and find the easiest way to have something to eat, like what you will be doing if I were to give you a chicken. He gave you countless of chance and indeed answered each of your prayer. All you have to do with the opportunity is work on it." So the beggar cried, asked for forgiveness and woke up in a shore full of coconuts. He was again given another chance. The six of flowers states: PRAY AS IF EVERYTHING DEPENDED ON GOD, WORK AS IF EVERYTHING DEPENDED ON YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment